Pre/Postnatal Fitness: Safe & Effective Training Strategies
Pre/Postnatal Fitness: Safe and Effective Training Strategies
(.5 NASM CEU’s)
Getting regular exercise is one of the best things a pregnant woman can do for her body, both during her nine-month prenatal journey as well as during her postnatal recovery. By following the proper guidelines, maternity fitness can be a safe and rewarding experience for both trainer and client. In this AAPT course, you will learn how to develop sound training programs that address the unique biomechanical and physiological changes occurring during the pre- and postnatal period. Programming for resistance, cardiovascular and flexibility training is discussed in detail, with insight provided on how to modify techniques based on the individual needs of the client. Contraindications to exercise are addressed with respect to each trimester.
Course Learning Objectives
- To prepare the student to understand various terminology related to pregnancy
- Recognize the data and statistics
- Review basic human physiology and responses to exercise
- Identify various body changes that occur during pregnancy
- Instruct clients on evidence-based exercises and fitness goals that are important to include in exercise programs for women who are prenatal, pregnant, or postpartum
- Recognize the symptoms of overtraining in both the mother and the fetus
- Recommend and demonstrate exercises for relieving discomfort and relief of symptoms for the pregnant participant
- Select and integrate mind-body exercises, effective breathing, and relaxation techniques into an exercise program for pregnant women
- How to assess each client’s needs based on pregnancy trimester and/or fitness level, and how to modify exercises to correspond with their physical needs throughout pregnancy and beyond.
I – Introduction (Time Allocated: 1 hour)
- Data and statistics
- Human physiology
- Pregnancy chronology
- Society and culture
II – Exercise (Time Allocated: 1 hour)
- Why exercise?
- Exercise effects (before, during, post-partum)
- Caveats: Absolute and relative contraindications
III – Pregnancy and Exercise (Time Allocated: 3 hours)
- Maternal physiology, expectation and cautions
- Exercise programming:
- First Trimester
- Second Trimester
- Third Trimester
- Fourth (Postpartum)
Preview, Sneak Peak to Pre/Postnatal Fitness: Safe & Effective Training Strategies
Benefit from a yearly membership with 30% off ALL courses, for an annual fee of $250.
This price grants annual membership and its benefits.
- 30% off all AAPT courses
- Affordable, efficient path to personal trainer certification
- Yearly access to AAPT’s faculty & facilities